Sunday, March 4, 2007

24 years of GLORY!

Heh heh. Or something. So, yesterday was my birthday for those of you who are oblivious to things of great importance. And as usual, I have found that low or lack of expectations creates wonderful birthdays! I went out to brunch at Melissa’s Constantia, the most adorable cafĂ© that had a big (probably 15 person) kitchen table in the middle of the floor and everyone just sat together, like some very large, particularly dysfunctional family. They had cakes and muffins and a cold breakfast buffet (which I opted for) with granola, mueslix, delicious fresh fruit (which is always amazing here), oatmeal, honey, more granola = YUMS in TUMS. Teneal (one of the grade 3 teachers) invited me and we were joined by 5 other teachers from Rustenburg and one unsuspecting boyfriend. The people were really nice and Teneal gave me really nice beady bracelets and I got some lotion from another teacher. Which was very sweet seeing as I didn’t expect anything.

Then, I went to the mall to doing a little shopping for myself and while I was in one shop, I had my cell phone swiped! This put a slight damper on the day, but I decided it was better that than my iPod or my wallet! So, oh well.

Then, I relaxed for a bit and went out to a very chic Cuban restaurant called Cubana – I can’t figure out where they came up with the name… with my two roommates. We had steak and jalapenos and some vino and then I had a flaming shot in lieu of a birthday cake. Super sweet! (meaning particularly nasty) My roommates ended up picking up the tab (the sweethearts) and we took the bus home. It really was a lovely day! Thanks to everyone for the birthday emails and to my pops for singing me an exceptionally beautiful rendition of an old classic (you know the one). TWO DOZEN. I am old!

So, this week I am teaching Monday, Wednesday, and Friday all by myself and then next week I teach the entire week solo! WHOOH! I’m excited and just a bit nervous. The Solar System Unit is going very well (the girls love it) and this week the girls are doing group projects on Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, so wish me luck!

P.S. Keep holding your breath for the meatloaf on a stick explanation… mwah haha! Ah, patience, grasshoppah.

No comments: