Monday, March 19, 2007

The first day of fall

That's right ladies and gents, in just two days it'll be the first day of fall here. I'm looking forward to it cooling off a bit because the weather in this neck of the woods will still be LOVELY! haha.

This past week was very nice indeed! Dr. Howell (from UK) observed me twice and gave me some much needed CONSTRUCTIVE feedback on ways to enrich my experience here. About time.

On Thursday, I attended my first Braai at Dr. Baxen's house, which was very nice for the most part. Kaylene (another supervisor-type) made this amazing Malaysian dish. YUM. I was supposed to go to Tesha's school for an overnight simulation of the removal that took place during the Apartheid, but I opted out to keep myself sane and chipper (two qualities I cannot affirm in those who chose to attend) for the next day of teaching.

Friday night we saw the Cape Cobra's beat the Durbin something-or-others in my second cricket match. The game went down to the last ball, which was really exciting! Then, Chris and I did some roommate bonding over drinks at Cubana (the place we went for my birthday).

Saturday were planning on taking the Cable car to the top of Table Mountain and walking around, but it was so windy the car wasn't running. So, we relaxed and then went to a traditional African restaurant. I had oxtail with curry sauce (yum), ostrich, kudu, and springbok. Interesting and good. It made me think of my dad (you would have enjoyed it, pops). Oh, I also tried pap (pronounced "pop") which is a traditional African meal (like a mix between grits and mashed potatoes - it was good if you mixed it with the oxtail curry). There was live music and dancing. The group ended up cutting the rug in front of the whole restaurant. It was great!

Finally, on Sunday Dr. Howell, Tesha, Chris, and I went to Green Point - a craft market that has all kinds of touristy things like masks and such. I got some goodies and then we went to the Waterfront and I ate an ostrich burger (I like ostrich - hopefully, I'll get to ride one with Erica when she gets here! no joke, you can do that!).

So, that's that. We have Wednesday off school for Human Rights Day and some of us are going to go wine tasting. Don't worry, though, we're hiring (aka renting) a car! Then a week from tomorrow, we leave for our safari! I can't wait!

Love you all! Hope you are well!

No comments: