Thursday, January 18, 2007

My first day of South African third grade

Although originally, I was supposed to be in an sixth grade classroom, this morning, Jean and I switched it around, so I could participate in a third grade classroom (a grade I haven't been a part of yet). It went pretty well. I left at tea time (11am). And no, I am not joking! They have tea. The students take English, !Xhosa (a tribal language), and Afrikaans starting in primary school. I was very impressed! Today, we experienced our first black out. Tesha and I went to the grocery yesterday and attempted to stock our tiny fridge, so luckily the blackout didn't last too long and none of our food spoiled.

Nathan was sick all day yesterday (some sort of stomach bug) and I feel generally clogged today (some sort of nostril disaster!).

I feel that I'm finally settling into the ways of Rondebosch although I cannot get used to the cars driving on the opposite side of the street and the drivers on the opposite side of the car than I am used to. I cannot tell you how many times I double take when I think a child is driving a car. I also have to be very cautious crossing the street because I cannot figure out which way the cars from. Tesha and I both stand there looking around in all directions "just to be safe." But I remember what my wise ol' mama always says, "you may be right, but you'd be dead right" (said about the traffic in Pittsburgh).

I'm really grateful to have roommates as a kind of buffer who I can laugh with when things start feeling overwhelming. The other day in the grocery store Tesha, Nathan, and I just wandered around in a daze, starving, exhausted, and unable to process. The currency is different, the nutrition facts are different, I'm learning about all kinds of new fruits and vegetables (rocket, lichi, and some derivation of passion fruit.) But whenever I have asked for help, the Capetonians have been very friendly and helpful.

Nathan and I are back to school tomorrow, but Tesha has the day off. Then, I'm going to put money on a pre-paid cell phone, which is free if you all call me. The number is 079-428-6365. Although I don't know how much it would cost anyone from the US calling me. Just remember that I am 7 hours ahead.

I think the jet lag is finally subsiding and I'm starting to feel more like myself. I look forward to getting super involved in my school, so I stop feeling so homesick...

This morning at school the teacher briefly introduced me and then had me read a story to the class. The girls all looked around and whispered as I read. At the end of the story, Mrs. Meyer verbalized that I did not sound like they did and asked the girls where I thought I was from. In awed voices, they cried, "Ameeeerica!" It's funny. People will turn around when they hear us talking in the street and eavesdrop at the supermarket at our funny accents. Definitely a first for me!

Saturday we are going to the waterfront shops and to the beach and then on sunday we are going to Kirstenboch (sp?) to walk around the botanical gardens and then to a picnic and concert.

Hope everyone's doing well!

1 comment:

brian k. heller said...

glad to see you are doing well, and seem genuinely happy with what you are doing. i think what you are doing is fukn phenomenal! you have to be one of the most adventurous girls that i know. you're amazing.

if you feel homesick in any way, then just let ME know. hit me up with a home address and i'll see what i can do.

-brian montross
(you used to work with me if you've forgotten)