Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Stories from the other side...

...of the equator.

So, every time I finish blogging (oh, I am so technologically advanced!), I finish feeling like I had nothing to say only to arrive home and realize I didn't tell any of the funny happenings that occur daily.

Story #1: The Cockroach

A shriek from the kitchen!
nathan and I look at each other and don't do anything. We decide to go into the kitchen after a little while. Tesha is hiding behind the refridgerator. Tehsa has discovered a cockroach in the kitchen. It goes without saying that this is gross, but I'm a big girl. I'm not afraid of bugs (too much). I have lived by myself and been forced to kill more bugs in various shapes and sizes than I would care to remember, so I ask her where it went and quickly attempt cockroach death squat position 9B. Then I saw it. It was HUGE!!! At least two inches long AT LEAST and fat! I scream, which makes Tesha scream again and we both hide behind the refridgerator. So, long story short, Nathan tries to catch it with a tube sock! Tesha and I keep screamign when we see it, so he thinks there are more cockroaches and starts freaking out. We (mainly Nathan - although I offered some serious moral support) captured the cockroach and nathan set him free somewhere... I never did ask.

Tale B: The Pushover

So, after just a few short days with nathan I realized that he says "uh-huh" a lot when he doesn't understand what the person is saying instead of doing what I do which is ask the person, "what?" "excuse me?" "one more time" until you understand them. So, the trio is at the mall and we stop to have something to eat. The lady takes our drink order and nathan says he'd like a water with lemon. nathan seems to think she is confused, so he tries to explain he'd like a lemon and water. the woman says "lime." He explains again what he'd like. Tesha and I start to laugh and tell him that she gets it.

two minutes later:
Nathan's water and lemon comes out.... it's GREEN. She made him a lime water, water with lime juice. Tesha and I proceed to crack up (kindly, after the waitress has left). Nathan won't send the water back since he spent two minutes trying to explain to the woman exactly what he wanted and he still didn't get it. We let it go. (although not without the picture I took).

The bill comes. nathan was charged 9 rand for the lime water! Tesha and I proceed to pee in our pants!

So, again, just two stories I failed to mention.

Life has been stressful the past couple of days. Tesha and I both hate our schools.

All my kids have done for the past week is color and there is NO and I mean NO behavior management plan in my classroom...? It makes no sense.... She says she gets stricter and they have more to do as the term progresses... I'm crossing my fingers because right now I just feel terribly disappointed.

I have learned a couple of math (which they call "maths") techniques that I think are helpful, but when I asked her today if they use manipulatives... she stared at me like she'd never heard of them... hmmmm....

Anyhoo, we're going to go hiking with Heinz again this Saturday and I'm super excited. Tesha and I joined the gym yesterday, so hopefully the endorphins will help me keep from crying at school.

More later.

I added new pictures of Rhodes Memorial (where we went with Heinz on Sunday).

No comments: