Saturday, February 24, 2007

I love Cape Town!

Oh, what a beautiful mooooooooorning! And now, it’s actually a beautiful day/afternoon. I just got back from Kenilworth where Tesha and I did some much needed shopping! YAY!

I’m not gonna lie. The last few weeks have been tough. Being away from family and other personal drama, it makes me crave the comfort of home. But I’ve made it through and things are going really well! This past Monday I taught the entire day (except for the Afrikaans lesson). I also taught Maths for three days IN A ROW (I know, spectacular!) AND (yeah, I’m not even finished yet) we are well on our way with the Solar System Unit of which I am the BOSS! Hard to believe I’ve come so far. Yeah, I know it.

Tuesday Mrs. Meyer took me to Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens and we have a very nice walk through this spectacular place (I’m definitely going back with my camera… and a good book). One of the most popular flowers is called Erica (spelled the same way. Mom, did you know that?) My teacher was surprised when I told her that was my sister’s name. I don’t think she’s ever heard of it as a person’s name before. It made me miss my mama as I zoned out when Mrs. Meyer talked about the names of the many many flowers and plants (heh heh).

Thursday the grade 3s went to the Planetarium. I asked my students what it was like before we got there. They said it was like a domed-shaped movie theater. I immediately envisioned the I-Max… hmmm…. It was a bit different. Try tiny. The movie was supposed to be about the planets, but it was basically a hyped up cartoon, but the cartoons didn’t even change position. It was just a photo that moved... The girls loved it. Then we walked around the garden and the teachers and I had tea in a little café under a tree. A pigeon pooped on one of the girls and I found out that that’s considered good luck!

I have recently noticed the spectacular amount of cockroaches in this beautiful city. Thankfully, the ones that I see are all dead. On the ground at my school. On the sidewalk (called pavement here). Right in front of my face as I did a backbend over a yoga ball at the gym… that one was my favorite. We really bonded.

P.S. Check out new peekshurs (translation: pictures)
P.P.S. Another funny tale. We were shopping at the little vender places right outside the mall and I asked this woman what size the dress was. She said something, and I could not understand her. So she said, "small may-sssssssss" (small makes). I apologized then started laughing. It was funny. Oh, silly, silly American. Can't understand the accent. She laughed. I laughed. Being a foreigner is strange and hilarious.

No comments: