Sunday, February 4, 2007

There are ROBOTS in South Africa!

Please, do not be too alarmed. Robots, aka traffic lights, exist in the United States as well. You may have seen some…

So, this week went by very quickly. I kept myself busy at school Monday through Friday. Then, Friday night Tesha and I just vegged out. Saturday we went to a nearby market with Nathan and some of his friends from school. The market was a bit posh for my style, but it was fun getting out the house and walking around. Then, Tesha, Nathan, Dylan (Nathan’s friend from school), and I took a scenic drive along the beach. We stopped and shopped a bit and then went to the beach. It was lovely. I love laying at the beach, listening to the waves and watching people. I saw my first real-life SURFERS! I know. Shocking. Seriously, though, it was fun just hanging out and, like I said, people watching.

After that we all came home, had some dinner, and watched a movie since Nathan and I got up at 6:30AM! (on a non-school day) to go and climb TABLE MOUNTAIN! And guess what? WE DID IT! (see the pictures).

It was absolutely, indescribably, breathtakingly BEAUTIFUL! It was a tough climb (it took us about 4 and a half hours to get to the top), but the view was amazing and the experience itself was wonderful. Nathan, Mark (one of the teachers at Nathan’s school), and Mark’s girlfriend (I can’t spell her name) ended up walking down. Actually, as I’m typing this they are still in the process of climbing down. But Dylan, his two friends, and I opted for the cableway, which gave us a great new perspective of the mountain on the way down. So, now I’ve gotta hurry up and relax (heh heh) because I’ve got a long week ahead of me at school.

P.S. I had a long talk with my supervisor and my cooperating teacher, and I think that the school situation is going to work out just fine. Although I must admit, I am very jealous of Nathan's school!

2 comments:

Erica said...

It's your birthday! You climbed a mountain.

And hey man, i'm a real life surfer. Hard core. You've seen me.

brian k. heller said...

you've seen more than one real-life surfer before...albeit not a really great one, but i do surf.