Sunday, February 11, 2007

Trains, trains, & more trains?... wait... where am I?

So, it’s been one month. It’s hard to believe and yet… not so hard to believe.

Story #1: I am Mr. Miagi!

Tesha and I went out to lunch yesterday. As I may have mentioned before, most places don’t have air conditioning, so they just open doors/windows to keep cool. There also seems to be a complete lack of screens, so, as you can imagine there are flies around. So, Tesha and I get our food and dig in, but there are flies swarming around us (in reality there were just two house flies). So, I wave my hand back and forth over my plate, trying to shoo them away. I feel something in between my index and middle finger. I look. It’s a fly. I caught it in between my fingers. EW! I put it in my napkin; Tesha passed me some hand sanitizer from her purse. I AM MR. MIAGI! (sans chopsticks)

Uh, I can’t seem to think of any other stories right now, so here’s a list of funny expressions:

Naughty (for bad)
SHAME! (instead of saying, ‘what a shame,’ they’ll just say ‘shame!’)
Boot (For trunk)
Rubbish or litter (for trash)
Ya (for yes)
Now (but it doesn’t mean right now, it means soon or later)
Cokey (for marker)
Rubber (for pencil eraser)
Duster (blackboard eraser)
Jerseys (for cardigans)
Tomato (pronounced toe-ma-toe) sauce (for ketchup)

That’s all I can think of right now… but I will continue in my anthropological endeavors…

Not much happened this week. Went to school all week. Went to a Professional Development seminar on Friday afternoon about phonological awareness. It was really interesting – talked about how to make different sounds and how to explain these sounds to ESL students. Friday Tesha and I rented movies, Saturday we ventured into the world of the Cape Town train system. We got lost (my fault – I thought we were going to Muizenburg, but really we wanted Hoet Bay), but eventually found our way to some shopping. I didn’t buy anything, but it was fun taking the train. Saturday night I finished a book and went to bed early. Then, this morning I made breakfast for everyone. I wanted to make pancakes, but I couldn’t find pancake mix at the grocery store!? SHAME! Heh heh. See how well I’m adapting to my new environment.

I’m excited for school this week, continuing with the Solar System Unit and doing a fun Dictionary Detective activity. I think I’ll explore the UCT campus sometime this week. The adventure continues!

2 comments:

brian k. heller said...

your kungfu is strong, but you have much yet to learn, christie-san.

one thing i find a bit concerning is the hand sanitizer. never liked the stuff much and never could understand why people would use it. if i get some sort of funk on me, i'm not going to slather it with hand sanitizer...i'm going to wash it off. i'd much rather be rid of the unwanted contaminant then coat it with a protective sheen.

maybe i'm just neurotic...

brian k. heller said...

by the way, i wasn't criticizing...i was just being silly. ;]